1931...........Club was formed at Luton Cooperative
Society Cocoa Works. Arrangements were put in
place to lay a green on the company sports ground.
Annual Subscriptions were set at 2/6d.
1937.....Sports ground was sold for redevelopment
Club moved matches to Wardown Park.
At the AGM it was proposed that “the A & S C Club
be approached in regard to having the woods re-varnished”.
1938 ..Proposal to change name to Luton Cocoaworks B C was defeated.
1940s...The bowling green here had been laid by Stopsley Working Mens Club. Later
it was taken over by Luton Borough Council Parks Department and became the home of
Stopsley Working Mens Bowls Club. The changing Room was a brick built shelter with
a tiled roof and wooden seating.
1973 New Pavilion with toilets and Kitchen was built.
1976 The Greenkeeper treated the green with the wrong fertiliser and completely ruined
the grass. This meant that SWMC members went to play for other local clubs. The
Council decided to close the green, but after press coverage in both the local and
Sunday National papers the Council changed there mind and laid a new green. When
the green was ready to play on again most of the SWMC players decided to stay at
their new clubs. It was at this Point that because of the poor state of their green
Wardown Park Bowls Club took over the new green in Ashcroft Park and changed the
name to Wardown Bowls Club, some ex members of Stopsley joined them.
1985...Luton Airport Bowls Club shared facilities.
1988....Name changed to Ashcroft Bowling Club, a bar licence was obtained and the
pavilion kitchen was modified.
1994 Pavilion extended to allow for sit down meals.